Whether you’re at the lake, in the park or on the front lawn, there are simple and delicious ways to plan a healthy 4th of July picnic. Here are a few of our favorites:
Slice a watermelon in 1/4 slices. Insert popsicle stick. Enjoy your fruity pop.
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, honey or agave
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups broccoli slaw mix (with carrots and cabbage)
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lightly salted, roasted sunflower seeds
- In a large bowl whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, maple syrup, mustard, and salt.
- Add the broccoli slaw mix, green onions, and cranberries.
- Toss to combine and coat with dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, until chilled, or for up to 2 hours.
- Just before serving sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
Ranch~Style Hummus and Fresh Cut Veggies
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dried dill
- Blend ingredients.
- Serve with fresh cut veggies like carrots, celery, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower
Viva Fiesta Turkey Wrap
- 4 Whole Wheat Tortillas (medium size, ~8 inch diameter)
- ½ lb turkey breast, salsa or chipotle variety
- 4 Tbsp Veggie Cream Cheese Spread
- ½ cup torn lettuce leaves
- ½ cup matchstick carrots
- ½ cup shredded Cheese, Chipotle or Mexican blend
- Lay out 4 tortillas and divide cream cheese evenly (1Tbsp per tortilla) on top of tortilla
- Layer with lettuce (2 Tbsp per tortilla) on entire tortilla
- On one side, add turkey (2 oz or 2 slices per tortilla)
- Add carrot (2 Tbsp per tortilla) on top of turkey and add final layer of shredder cheese (2 Tbsp per tortilla) on entire tortilla
- Starting from the side with more ingredients, begin to tightly roll tortilla, pressing down while rolling. Once rolled, press evenly with hands.
- If time allows, let sit in fridge for 20 minute before slicing in half or into pin-wheels.
Recipe Source: http://www.lsnutritiontx.com/blog/viva-fiesta-turkey-wrap
Asian Lettuce Cups
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ½ jalapeno pepper, cut into ⅛-inch dice
- 1-1/2 TBS packed brown sugar
- 1 TBS low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 2 TBS lime juice
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp ginger
- ⅓ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 (10-ounce) bag broccoli slaw (4 cups)
- Cooking spray
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce
- In a large bowl, combine the jalapeno, brown sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, and mustard to make the marinade. Place the chicken in the marinade, being sure to coat it completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or as long as 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine ½ cup water with the peanut butter, lime juice, fish sauce, Sriracha, garlic, and ginger. Whisk together until smooth. Add the yogurt and continue to stir until well combined. Add the mint, basil, and broccoli slaw to the bowl and toss to combine.
- Coat a grill pan with cooking spray and heat it over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken, discarding the excess marinade, and cook, turning the pieces over halfway through, until browned, 10 minutes.Remove from the pan and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Then cut or tear the chicken into a least 16 bite-size pieces.
- To assemble, create cups with leaves of the Bibb lettuce. Place 2 tablespoons of the slaw into each cup and top with 1 piece of chicken.
Recipe Source: http://tobyamidornutrition.com/recipes/asian-lettuce-cups/
Wishing you a safe, happy and healthy 4th of July!