One of my favorite things about fall….apples, apples, apples.
Did you know that apples are one of the healthiest foods to eat? They are extremely rich in important antioxidants, flavonoids, and dietary fiber. The phytonutrients and antioxidants in apples may help reduce the risk of developing cancer, hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease.
Mini Peanut Butter and Apple Sandwich Recipe
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash of sea salt
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup raisins
4 medium apples
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine orange juice, honey and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in oil and vanilla.
- Pour honey mixture over oat mixture, stirring to coat. Spread mixture in a thin layer onto a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes, stirring well halfway through.
- Stir in raisins and let cool completely.
- To assemble sandwiches, core each apple and cut into ¼-inch slices (8 slices per apple). If you won’t be eating these right away, brush the apples slices with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. Spread two teaspoons of peanut butter on eight apple slices then sprinkle with granola. Top with remaining apple slices, pressing down gently to make the sandwiches.
1 sweet potato
2 large apples, cored and chopped into 1 cm pieces
2 1/4 cups whole rolled oats
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup coconut sugar
- Bake the sweet potato in the oven at 375° F for about one hour or until it is tender. Alternatively, you can microwave it until it is tender. Set aside. Cut the apples into 1 cm pieces. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Put the rolled oats in a food processor or high speed blender and process until the oats resemble flour (about 1 minute). Put the flour in a large mixing bowl. Put chia seeds in a small bowl and add 3 tablespoons water and stir (it will form a gel). Set aside. Remove the skin of the baked sweet potato and add the flesh to the food processor or blender (no need to clean it out from the flour). Add up to 1/4 cup water and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to the bowl of oat flour and mix well. In a separate bowl, mix the melted coconut oil, coconut sugar and chia seed gel and mix very well. Then, mix in 1 cup of sweet potato puree.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in the apple chunks. Divide the batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with oats and a bit of coconut sugar, if you like.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn the heat down to 400°F, and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Enjoy them fresh out of the oven or store them in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Recipe Source: http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/healthy-apple-recipes/